Wednesday, May 27, 2009

House hunting and down sizing

Just returned from Florida visiting with Alyson and her family. Andy and I traveled to a few places looking at homes, possibly to buy. Venice, south of Sarasota on the Gulf was by far by favorite place. Altho the median age is 70 years old! But we are sticking to our plan of traveling for the next 12 months. If gas goes higher then $4.00 a gallon, we will settle very quickly. Alyson asked Andy if he was a little nervous about retiring and he responded that he has been planning this for 30 years. Living on a "fixed" income is fine, he is stocking up on condiments, napkins, silverware, etc. from all the fast food places we dine at! He is always planning ahead! I am sure this makes my children even more secure in our plans of selling the house and living in a RV.

I need to start packing. Andy is really unable to do most of this since he brought very little with him when we got married. I am having some saddness deciding what to keep and what to throw out. It is hard down sizing and trying to live minimally. I do know that my kids are still having trouble accepting this. I want them to know this is now my turn to live and be carefree and maybe a little irresponsible. And have some fun! I must have done a good job making this house in Rochester a real home. Selling our family home after my divorce was hard, so many memories there, but also much saddness. This new home in Rochester did seem like we all lived here together. Well actually, all my kids have moved in with me for short periods of time. Neal lived here when he moved back from Columbus, Alyson and Chris before they left for Florida and Amanda....she helped me buy this house! She lived here during summers, weekends and Christmas vacations. I do know this was a huge part of their young adult life. But we will have a new home base :) Hang in there guys and let Andy and I have some time and fun, just the two of us like carefree kids living life. "Life is like a runaway train I can't wait to jump on."

No comments:

Post a Comment